Food writer and author Sam Gates says "Lazy Sundays need special brunches and this retro-inspired recipe is just right for kick-starting your day".
Wake up late at Plum Henley on a Sunday morning and put yourself in the frame for a wholesome country walk by fuelling up on this delicious version of French toast combined with the best locally-reared bacon and roasted vine tomatoes.
In Henley we're lucky enough to be on the doorstep of The Hungry Guest - an amazing delicatessen providing an expertly curated variety of produce year-round.
At all Plum Cottages you'll find all the equipment needed to prepare this brunch, along with the cupboard items - just pick up the fresh ingredients and you're ready to go!
Watch on Instagram
You can see this recipe in action here.
2 branches of cherry vine tomatoes
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
1 tbsp olive oil
3 medium eggs
1 tbsp milk
50g finely grated mature cheese
1 tbsp chopped chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-3 tbsp butter
8 thick slices cut from a small baguette
2 handfuls of wild rocket
Takes about 30 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
2. Place the tomatoes and bacon on a baking tray separated by a small ‘wall’ of foil. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally until the tomatoes are soft and the bacon is crispy. Turn the oven off, cover the baking tray with foil and keep warm.
4. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the milk, cheese and chives. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. Melt a large knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan until hot.
6. Dip both sides of a baguette slice in the egg mixture then place in the hot frying pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden, then remove and keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining slices, adding more butter if needed.
7. To serve, arrange the tomato branches alongside the eggy bread and bacon and scatter with a few handfuls of rocket. Eat and enjoy!
Sam’s new book THE GREEN BATCH COOK BOOK, featuring 70 vibrant vegetarian and vegan make-ahead recipes, is out now.
© Sam Gates